The Democratic Women’s Club of Florida, Inc. had it’s official beginning in 1956 although there had been individual Democratic women’s clubs in our state for many years.
The organizational meeting for a state club took place at the Princess Martha Hotel in St. Petersburg on May 24, 1956, which was the day chosen by Eleanor Roosevelt as Democratic Women’s Day. Eighteen active Democratic Women gathered to do business as the Democratic Women’s Club of Florida and to receive a Charter from the Secretary of State. We received our charter as a corporation in 1972. In 1980 we joined the National Federation of Democratic Women after attending the two previous conventions. Several of our members have served on National Federation of Democratic Women's committees and held National Federation of Democratic Women's elected positions.
From that small beginning in 1956, under the leadership of its first President, Mrs. James Haley of Bradenton, The Democratic Women’s Club of Florida, Inc. now consists of nine regions, representing over 40 clubs.
The DWCF was formed to bring together all Democratic Women’s Clubs in Florida to provide a forum for discussion of public matters, to support qualified candidates for public office and to encourage qualified Democratic women to seek elected office.
The spirit of volunteerism is just as alive today as it was when first organized. Members and guests are trained in leadership and campaign skills through a variety of curricula offerings, recruit women to run for political office, both elective and appointed, and manage campaigns with computer and Internet technology. The Legislative Committee serves as the hub of activities during the Legislative Session as members monitor and lobby for or against legislation that has a dramatic impact on the lives of the citizens of Florida and particularly the women of Florida. Our goal is Equal Representation from the Court House to the White House and no less!
Member of the National Federation of Democratic Women
Democratic Women’s Club of Florida, Inc